Saturday, July 26, 2008

Ocean soothes the soul



I am home and not sick or injured anymore. I got home really late Wednesday, and have pretty much been sleeping for 2 days. I am doing well now. But this is really not interesting. Let me back up to everything I skipped these past couple weeks!

My first stop on my vacation was Massachusetts. I visited my mom, saw some friends, and went to Cape Cod to see my relatives that were vacationing there. My aunt, uncle, cousins, and my cousins' kids (whom I'd never met before) were all there. It was a frenzy of activity (anyone who has ever spent time with 3 young kids and 8 "old" kids all in one house can imagine). But it was really great, and I had a nice time at the beach, and it was really fun to meet my new young cousins.

There is something about ocean waves... I think it's because I grew up in New England with water everywhere. I spent so much time as a kid at a lake, splashing around, swimming, sailing, canoeing, etc... And the ocean is right there. Being either at or in the ocean was a fairly regular occurrence. Now I live in the middle of a desert. We have swimming pools and man-made lakes with pretend beaches. So I get a kind of discontented feeling from time to time. I start to feel a need to see ocean. An internal unrest.

So it was wonderful. Standing with my feet buried in soft sand, staring out at the ocean, listening to the waves rolling in. Ahhh. Peaceful again.

No comments: