Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Currants are bad


I saw these red currants at Trader Joe's and they looked yummy. I had never seen currants before, except the dried ones. And I like dried currants a lot. Like zingy little raisins. These currants seemed like a delicious, juicy, little red jackpot.

They are not delicious. They don't taste at all like the dried currants. They don't taste like grapes. They don't taste the way they look. I'm a little confused by their taste actually. I don't really understand how something can simultaneously have almost no taste at all, and yet taste so terrible. It's a produce paradox.

I will stick to dried currants from now on. Occasionally I like to make Ants on a Log. That's a great snack. Yes I am 31 years old. You might think this is a kindergarten snack, but I assure you it still tastes delicious when you are grown up. The last time I made Ants on a Log, I had to make a huge batch for a pot luck event. You know how some of the celery sticks are real skinny? Like less than a centimeter wide? There was this dilemma about what to do with all of this celery. The skinny stalks were too narrow to make Ants on a Log. Raisins just won't fit! My ants would fall off! But I didn't want to waste this celery. So I used currants. They are so tiny, they fit perfectly on those skinny ass celery sticks.

We couldn't quite call them Ants on a Log. They technically weren't the same thing, and it wasn't accurate to call these things "logs." So we named them Ticks On a Stick. Sure, some people were put off by the unappetizing name. But damn they were good. They all got eaten up. Delicious. Trust me.

I recommend bringing a combination platter of Ants On a Log and Ticks On a Stick to your next potluck event. Sure, they will all mock you at first, but then they will realize they're being stupid and they'll eat that shit up.

And my friend Jess had a really good idea too. "Jazz Ants on a Log." This would involve replacing the "ants" with M&Ms. I didn't try this yet, but I can already tell you it would be a big hit. I also just found this recipe for Fire Ants on a Log. I might try this some day too. I find that cranberries make most things better. And to my Vegan fans, i found that last thing on this vegan blog. It has a lot of Vegan related links and information and it looked interesting. Even though I'm not Vegan.

2 comments:

Vegan_Noodle said...

Ticks on a stick... hilarious!! Thanks for linking to my blog. I am not a big celery or raisin fan, so I had to get creative to finish up the celery in my fridge.

Oh, and I'm not a fan of fresh currants either :-)

Mike said...

You know, I never thought about fresh currants before. I had always assumed the just came in jar form and were a fancy name for some sort of grape I didn't know about... But it does makes sense that they are a real fruit.

Huh. My mind is blown... thanks for the heads up!