Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I have questions.


1a. Why do people turn right from the left lane?
1b. Why do people (probably the same people, but I don't know for sure) turn left from the right lane?

Do people think it is OK to just throw on their blinker and lean on the horn and cross three lanes of traffic to turn? Or sometimes no blinker. Just swerving. It seems to always happen right in front of me. Asshats.

2. Is it actually legal to make a U-turn while you are waiting at a red light? Questions 1a and 1b were mainly rhetorical. But I am serious about this one. I would never have thought this was allowed. I mean, red light means DO NOT GO. At least I thought so. And I still think so. I would know so, if it weren't for the fact that I keep seeing people do this. I see people do retarded things all the time. But this is just weird, and it takes some serious balls to just go on red, in the middle of the afternoon, with tons of cars around. First I thought, "wow. That guy's crazy." But then I saw more people doing it. I have seen this happen 4 or 5 times in the past couple months. Did I miss something in drivers ed? Is there some loophole that you aren't crossing the intersection, so it's OK? Or is it because I took drivers ed about 70 years ago, in another state?

Maybe in AZ you can do this. In MA you are expected to run red lights a lot of the time, but you aren't technically allowed to. I'm pretty sure you would get in an accident if you pulled something like that.

At the very least, you'd have several people honking horns and yelling at you. They would probably say something like, "WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU AH YOU FUCKIN' PRICK? ARE YOU A FUCKIN' RETAHD?" while making obscene gestures at you. Awww. Sometimes I do get homesick.

But here in this strange desert city, no one seems confused or upset by this weird behavior.

3. This question has nothing to do with the previous ones. But does anyone have any tips about growing peperomia plants or joshua trees without them turning brown and dying? I have failed miserably with the peperomias. Several times. I haven't killed any joshua trees yet. But that's because I haven't planted them yet. I am planning to this weekend probably. Yes, I realize that I will be 100 years old before they are big and amazing. But I'm still going to try.

No comments: