Monday, March 31, 2008

Nice Lazy Weekend

I had a beautiful weekend. I accomplished the bare minimum that could be expected of me on a weekend, without feeling like it was a complete waste of time.

On friday night, I went to a bar for a night of way too much beer. This excess of beer seemed justified because it was a party in honor of two people's birthdays, one person's job promotion, and one guy's going away party. The guy who is moving away (back home to the UK) is really a super cool guy, and he will be missed a lot. So in honor of all these things, a lot of people came out for a night of way too much beer. It was fun. I kind of feel like an ass though, but that's usually how i feel when i drink too much. I don't think i did any real damage. And I had enough sense about me to walk home, which is good because I could have gone to jail or wrapped my beautiful Volvo around a telephone pole otherwise. We wouldn't want either of those things to happen.

Saturday, I had to walk all the way back to the bar to get my car back. It was sunny and hot. The world was loud and bright and harsh, and I was hungover and wanting to be back inside in the dark cool quiet. But I need my coffee. I got the car and finally went for my coffee and then everything was good again. I chatted with a couple friends at the coffee place for a bit, then I went home and returned to my dark lair of quiet for more lazing... and a nap.

Sunday was similar. I lounged about for most of the day. I took an afternoon nap. I did do some laundry, which was painful and distressing for me. But now my jeans don't smell all funky and I have clean shirts. Which is nice. I also went to a barbecue and hung out with some friends. It was nice out, and I had corn on the cob and beer. It was a good time.

This is exactly what I like a weekend to be. Lets say about 25% of the time having fun, 70% of the time doing nothing at all, and 5% being productive. That's a really good ratio. And also, I am always proud of myself when I take a nap in the middle of the day, even when I got more than enough sleep the night before. And I accomplished this two days in a row. Good job, Liz!

On an unrelated note, I have a DVR (two of them actually). Nearly everything I watch is recorded. So I almost never watch TV commercials. I can just fast forward through that shit. That's a great thing. But every now and then, I find myself watching normal TV. Right now, I am watching regular TV. I feel a small pain inside every time a commercial comes on and I can't fast forward. But on the bright side, there are occasionally some really good commercials! For example, the one for MasterCard that goes something like "going out for dinner: $50. Staying for dessert: $10, ordering coffee: $12" (I am really paraphrasing here, and I'm making these numbers up...) "Giving your kitchen the night off: priceless." Meanwhile you are watching all the kitchen appliances gettin' down and partying while the people are out of the house. This is an awesome advertisement. This is just SO CUTE. The knives are watching a horror movie! The salt and pepper shakers seem like they are on a date. Other utensils are playing in the sink and just dancing around. It's just so adorable. I love it. I'm not even going to get a MasterCard because of this ad, but I would like to thank MasterCard for entertaining me for 30 seconds. Well done. I just saw that a few minutes ago while I was writing this, and I wanted to share my appreciation for it.

Yeah, I know... You don't have to tell me... I realize I am a huge dork... ;)

No comments: